Leg veins can either appear as varicose or spider veins. The exact cause of these unsightly veins are unknown. Here at our Massachusetts cosmetic surgery practice, we understand that no one really wants them around as they could destroy the looks of your gams. Below is Dr. Russo’s guide to preventing the occurrence of varicose and spider veins.
Possible Factors Influencing Occurrence of Spider and Varicose Veins
The following factors have been shown to influence, one way or another, to the development of spider and varicose veins:
1. Age and Gender- While unsightly veins could appear at any age, it looks like they mostly appear in women between the ages of 18 to 35 years old as well as between 50 to 60 years old. Females are also mostly affected due to hormonal changes.
2. Heredity – It turns out that genetics, as seen between mothers and daughters, plays a significant role in the development of varicose and spider veins.
3. Pregnancy – If you haven’t noticed, expectant moms tend to develop varicose and spider veins. As mentioned earlier, the surge of hormones during this time could lead to weakened vein walls. Also, blood volume tends to increase during this phase which consequently leads to dilated veins. Add in the increasing weight of the uterus in the picture and you get severe varicose vein appearances.
4. Occupation/Lifestyle – Occupations and/or lifestyles which involve prolonged sitting and standing could result to blood volume pressing against the closed valves and further vein distention.
Lifestyle Changes to Avoid Varicose and Spider Veins
1. Elevate your legs higher than your heart’s level as much as possible.
2. Keep your legs in motion to avoid pooling and continuous pressure. Walk, climb stairs, swim, or cycle as much as you can.
3. If episodes of prolonged standing or sitting can’t be avoided, perform tiny leg exercises such as flexing your ankles every 10 minutes or so.
4. Excessive body weight could increase pressure to your leg veins. Maintain your ideal body weight as much as possible.
5. Wear compression stockings during long car or plane rides. This will help reduce pooling and pressure in the veins.
6. By and large, heat increases vein distention. Thus, it is important to avoid exposure to excessive heat such as very long hot baths.
Laser Vein Therapy in Massachusetts
If all else fails, our Cutera lasers can safely and effectively treat both tiny superficial face veins and deeper blue leg veins on men and women of all skin tones. Arrange a cosmetic consultation with us now for your Massachusetts laser vein removal. We will listen to your concerns, educate you about what is available for you, and make recommendations. Call today to book your Boston plastic surgery appointment with us! Contact (617) 964-1440 or fill out this contact form.
575 Boylston Street, Newton Centre, MA 02459
Your body is constantly changing. Gravity, age, and the elements are constantly pulling at you. But you are not alone in this fight. The doctors and aesthetic experts at Joseph A Russo, MD are also in constant motion, relentlessly innovating better ways to overcome the entropic effects of time and gravity.