Rhinoplasty, also known as nose surgery, is a very common cosmetic procedure that can benefit many people. It can create balance in the face, improve your appearance, and boost your self-confidence. Keep reading to learn more about this popular procedure.
Who should consider rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty can benefit many people. It may be a good solution for you if:
- You think your nose is too large or too small for the rest of your face
- Your nose has been broken in the past and the shape has been altered
- Your nostrils are large or prominent
- You feel like your nose is out of balance with the rest of your face
- You have a deviated septum that makes it harder to breathe
- Your nose sits at a strange angle
- The tip of your nose is droopy or turned up too far
- You snore often
- Your nose is frequently congested
- Your nose has a prominent bump
- You are generally unhappy with the appearance of your nose
What is the surgery like?
The surgery is usually done at a hospital while the patient is under general anesthesia. During the procedure, the skin will be lifted and the underlying bone, cartilage, and tissue will be adjusted. Whenever possible the incisions are made near the base of the nose and at the inner part of the nostrils where the cut will be inconspicuous. The details of the procedure will vary from patient to patient depending on the desired final results.
What is recovery like?
The best way to speed up your recovery is to carefully follow the instructions given by your doctor. In general, you’ll need to sleep with your head elevated for about a week. You should expect some swelling and bruising near the nose and eyes. Holding a cold compress to the area can help reduce pain and swelling. After about a week, you’ll return to the doctor to have the splint and stitches removed. When you’ve recovered, you’ll be able to see the improved results from the procedure, but it will take some time for the final results to be completely evident. If you’d like to learn more about this procedure, contact Dr. Russo.